4 Steps to cope with Sugar High
The Calm Kids app is one resource that can help parents teach their children mindfulness. The app features a variety of mindfulness exercises and activities designed specifically for children, including guided meditations, relaxation techniques, and fun games that teach mindfulness skills. The app is available for both iOS and Android devices, and it can be a useful tool for helping children manage sugar highs and develop healthy habits for managing their emotions and energy levels.
There are many ways that parents can teach their children mindfulness, including through guided meditation, deep breathing exercises, and mindful activities such as coloring or drawing.
It's important to remember that each child is unique and may respond differently to different mindfulness activities. It may be helpful to try a few different approaches and see what works best for your child.
- Mindful listening: Have your child sit quietly and listen to a piece of music or a nature soundscape, paying attention to the different sounds and how they make them feel. Encourage them to let go of any distracting thoughts and just focus on the present moment.
- Drawing or coloring: Engaging in a creative activity such as drawing or coloring can help children focus their attention and release energy in a positive way.
- Movement and stretching: Engaging in physical activity can help children release energy and reduce tension. Encourage your child to try some gentle stretches or yoga poses, or go for a walk or a bike ride together.
- Body scans: A body scan is a mindfulness exercise that involves lying down and paying attention to each part of the body, starting at the toes and working up to the head. As they focus on each body part, have your child take a few deep breaths and let go of any tension they may be holding.
- Deep breathing exercises: Deep breathing is a simple but effective way to relax and calm the mind. Have your child sit comfortably and take a few deep breaths, focusing on the sensation of the breath moving in and out of their body. Encourage them to notice any feelings of tension in their body and let go of them as they exhale.
Here are a few examples of mindfulness activities that can help children release energy while they are experiencing a sugar high:
- Mindfulness can help children develop a sense of calm and relaxation. This can be especially helpful when they are feeling hyper or agitated due to a sugar high.
- Mindfulness can help children learn to regulate their emotions. When children are able to recognize and manage their emotions, they are less likely to act out in negative ways when they are feeling overwhelmed or agitated.
- Mindfulness can help children become more aware of their bodies and their feelings. This can help them recognize when they are experiencing a sugar high and understand how it is affecting their behavior and energy levels.
There are several ways that mindfulness can help manage sugar highs:
One way to help manage sugar highs is through mindfulness. Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention to the present moment in a non-judgmental way. It involves focusing on your thoughts, feelings, and sensations in the present moment, rather than worrying about the past or the future.
Sugar highs are a common occurrence for many children, and they can be a source of frustration for parents who are trying to manage their child's behavior and energy levels. A sugar high is a temporary increase in energy and alertness that is often caused by consuming sugary foods or drinks. While sugar highs can be enjoyable for children in the short term, they can also lead to problems such as difficulty concentrating, irritability, and difficulty falling asleep.